Reading Schedule

  • March 8-14 read chapters 34-38
  • March 1-7 read chapters 28-33
  • February 22-28 read chapters 22-27
  • February 15-21 read chapters 17-21
  • February 8-14 read chapters 10-16
  • February 1-7 read chapters 1-9

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goblins and Gollum

So what happened after the dwarves, Gandalf, and Bilbo had been on their adventure for a while? Well, it started storming really badly so they tried to find some shelter. So they found a warm dry cave that would even hold their ponies! But alas and alack while they were sleeping, a hidden wall that Goblins have hid, come open and the goblins come out. Bilbo wakes up to see the ponies have been led away by them, and then the goblins are back to eat Bilbo and his friends! So they go through an arduous trial trying to get away from the goblins and into safety.

And because poor Bilbo is a hobbit and can't keep up very well with the rest of the crew, he accidentally gets left behind to find his way out himself. So while he is wandering around, he finds a dark place with, none other, than Gollum. Now before this Bilbo had found Gollum's ring, and had it in his pocket. Anyway, Bilbo demands the Gollum show him the way out of the scary cave and into safety. But Gollum won't do it! So they challenge each other to a game of riddles. Which thank goodness Bilbo wins by asking: "What have I got in my pocket?" But Gollum is so mad that he lost that he doesn't show poor Bilbo the way. So Bilbo goes off by himself again. And after Bilbo has gone Gollum discovers that Bilbo has his ring, and goes running after him! So again poor Bilbo is running for his life. And while he's running he runs back into the goblins. So in a desperate hope for escape he puts the ring on, which by a wonderful stroke of luck makes him invisible! And therefore, he is able to get past Gollum AND the goblins and into safety to find his friends.

So anyway peoples, now that I have somewhat updated you on where I am in the book, I want you guys to try to solve one of the Riddles in Gollum's and Bilbo's game! Here it is: "Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still."

So those of you who are being lazy and aren't reading the book are going to have to do your best, and those of you who are reading it with me, will know the answer!

So post your guesses on the comment page and I will blog more later!
Maddy

2 comments:

  1. I have no earthly idea what the riddle means. But the book sounds interesting so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH. I have no idea what it is and YOU WILL NOT TELL ME. Meany.
    The most annoying thing is, is that I've read the book and should know what the answer is!
    Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete